River Witham

River Witham
River Witham near Barkston, Lincolnshire

Wednesday 17 August 2011

They're cute

 On Sunday, to ease myself back into it, after feeling pretty rough for a couple weeks, I decided to hit the club's little lake at Syston, in the afternoon/evening, for a few hours. Very pretty but not much action apparent when I arrived, although there was quite a breeze.  I took out a punt and anchored off the island, then took a fewof drifts down the lake.  I tried trad wets, lures, and nymphs to little avail, in fact I only saw 1 fish, jump or rise, all the time I was there.

 Eventually managed a couple of tiny perch, ahh so cute!
 Then another couple a little bigger all on a gold head hares ear, but were these roach or rudd, no stripes?






No sign of a trout all day.
 The wildlife on, and around, the lake always makes it agreeable, I was in the pleasant company of swans, moorhens, coots, mallards, white ducks, even a family of Grebe (see very poor photo below!).  Also saw a dead fox on a small beach!

 Called it a day at 8.30pm as there appeared to be no threat of an evening rise and I was getting cold.  Lovely sunset though.  I noticed in the catch return book in the lodge that no trout had been caught for over a month - strange.

1 comment:

  1. I was pleased to find your blog today. I didn't know we both fish the same river, and belong to the same club?

    All my blog is about the club's beats.

    Hope your much better and we meet some time on the river?

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete