River Witham

River Witham
River Witham near Barkston, Lincolnshire

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Bio-Security

I quote from an excellent article by Stuart Crofts, as published in the Grayling Society, Area 8 Newsletter;

"It is becoming increasingly obvious that all our waters are under threat from alien invaders; some of these are already here in the UK (the likes of Japanese \knotweed, Himalayan Balsam, Signal Crayfish etc, etc) and are steadily spreading across our land.  Moreover, there are threats just over the channel in Europe too, just waiting for a free ride.  As a general rule of thumb when an alien invader reaches our shores they do very well at the expense of our own native wildlife.  So what can we do? Well we have two choices we can either;

  1. Shrug our shoulders and just accept whatever happens,  or
  2. Take some steps to protect our waters from the aliens.
If you decide to take option one then read no further.  But if you want to try option two - then please read on.
I carry a small 1.5 litre garden sprayer in the back of my car.  At the end of my fishing day I simply spray my wading boots, waders (the parts that have been wet), net and wading stick before I put them back in my car.  If at all possible, I also take the sprayed gear out of my car to dry thoroughly before my next outing.  But, as a mad keen angler and fishing guide this is a rare event!  Just these two small actions can help control the spread of diseases and alien invaders between water courses.  The chemical I use in the sprayer is VIRKON S, this is a general purpose virucidal disinfectant and recommended by the E.A, the Riverfly Partnership and the F.B.A., to name but three.
VIRKON S is available in packets or an easy-to-use tablet form, just follow the instructions for the correct dilutions for use in your sprayer. It is available from agricultural suppliers or online.
So the choice is yours, what are you going to do?

Well I know what I am going to do.  As well as using the product, why don't you spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment