River Witham

River Witham
River Witham near Barkston, Lincolnshire

Saturday 23 July 2011

A little bit of float gazing

Woke up at 5.00am this morning, so decided to grab a flask and my float tackle and head down to the ford thro' the Witham, just down the road.  Picked a spot on a small clear pool at the tail-end of a riffle, and chucked in some groundbait.
Tackled up and popped some luncheon meat on the hook, and whilst chucking in some more groundbait  2 or 3 chub turned up, but ignored my offering.

It had started sunny but soon clouded over and a strongish breeze set in, although it wasn't too cold.  A number of visitors stopped by including, a pair of white ducks, a mallard family and a pair of swans!



Time flies by when you're so absorbed, but the fish seemed to be few and far between, eventually however what looked like a largish chub showed up, snaffled my luncheon meat, and my blank was saved.  Landing it was a different story, I was repeatedly increasing drag as it bored into the weed,  but then my net wouldn't unfold or set-up, one of those times when you need 3 or 4 hands! I did eventually get it in the net and boy it was a chubby chub, I didn't have any scales with me but measuring the net when I got home (22") and my hands for its girth (12.5") and using a table, from the Chub Study Group, I estimated it around 4lb, a PB for me although I have caught very few chub.

I had another hour to no avail and headed home for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment